Step by step guide how to activate WOL
To activate the work of WOL (Wake on Lan) requires:
- Validity pair of MAC address and serial number, see more how to generate >>
- Change the value MAC and Serial in the syslinux.cfg file on XPEnology USB flash drive
- Motherboard, LAN, BIOS WOL Supports (Enable the option in the BIOS)
- For some PCI cards – the procedure is not required
- Enable “Service SSH” in the Control Panel Synology DiskStation
- Open WinSCP and connect to your NAS server using the SCP protocol
Use the username root and your admin password
- Using WinSCP to copy the script S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh into folder:
chmod 0775 /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh
chmod +x /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh
- Then, find and open a file synoinfo.conf in directory:
Press F4 to edit synoinfo.conf file in WinSCP and change the following values:
wol_enabled_options="" eth0_wol_options="g" eth1_wol_options="g" // etc. if you have network cards ..//
- Save your changes and reboot the server. Now, WOL is enabled!
To enable WOL from the outside – open UDP port 9
Changeling MAC addresses in the syslinux.cfg configuration file
is useful only when the server is turned on.
When the server is turned off – using the original MAC address of the network card
but not the values in the file, and maybe WOL will not work. It will be useful to read – ARP.
Therefore, for stable worked WOL, flash your generated MAC address on the network card (It is very easy and fast):
See more how to flash new MAC address on network card >>